|Habitat for Humanity International is a Christian organization and welcomes volunteers from all faiths who are committed to Habitat's goal of eliminating poverty housing.|Apply for a Home
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING AS PART OF THE FIRST STEP IN APPLYING TO BE A HABITAT PARTNER FAMILY.
DID YOU KNOW THAT…
- Habitat for Humanity is a Christian organization, which seeks to demonstrate the love of God and be witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ by partnering with families to build simple, decent, affordable housing.
- Habitat families will be selected without regard to race, color, religion, sex, handicap, family status of national origin.
- Habitat for Humanity does not "give away" houses. A selected Habitat family must contribute 500 hours of labor (sweat equity) before they may occupy their Habitat home. After moving in, a Habitat family assumes a no-interest mortgage to pay for their homes. Since volunteer labor and donated materials are used as much as possible, the cost of a Habitat home is low.
- Habitat homes may not be sold for a profit.
- A typical Habitat home is approximately 1000 square feet with 2 of 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Habitat homes do not have garages, carports, or basements.
- Habitat for Humanity is NOT a quick fix for housing problems.
- Habitat for Humanity selects its partner families on the basis of need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner with Habitat.
- Habitat families earn less than half of the Snohomish County median income.
- Habitat for Humanity cannot help everyone who applies
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF SNOHOMISH COUNTY
NEED FOR ADEQUATE SHELTER
ABILITY TO PAY
Gross family income is within the range listed in the table below this section (25 to 50% median income for low income families in the area).
Family must have a satisfactory credit history.
The ability to continue meeting monthly household expenses should not be threatened by ownership of a home.
The amount of household income must not decrease as a result of home ownership.
Family must be able to pay closing costs of approximately $700. Once chosen, the selected family must begin monthly payments to Habitat toward this amount
- Inadequate current shelter because of problems with heating, water supply, electricity, bathroom, kitchen structure, environmental hazards, etc.
- Inadequate number of bedrooms as determined by number, ages, and sex of household members.
- Inability to obtain a conventional or bank loan.
- Current housing is unaffordable (rent, not including utilities and phone, is more than 50% of family’s gross income.)
Year 2009-2010 Annual Income Guidelines
WILLINGNESS TO PARTNER
- Family must be willing to contribute 500 hours of “sweat equity” building with Habitat.
- Family must be willing to participate in such activities as home maintenance, financial workshops, publicity and fund raising events, etc.
- Family must currently live in Snohomish County and have been a resident in the Puget Sound area for a year.
If you would like to learn more about homeownership, call us (425) 258-6289 or complete the online interest form and we will contact you before we have our next meeting.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or sources of income.